- It can take longer than people think for the piercing hole to be fully formed and fully healed.
- Certain areas, like cartilage, do not have as good a blood supply which increases their healing time.
- Piercings heal from the outside inwards which can make the piercing seem healed when it is not and is actually still busy healing underneath.
- Changing the jewellery while you are still healing can badly damage the new tissue.
- Read more about the healing process and how jewellery and cleaning effect it in our Piercing Healing Guide.
- Some piercers may not give out full healing times but only when the piercing feels healed.
- Long healing piercings are rarely painful after the first few weeks unless caught or slept on.
- They may occasionally get a little red and a light coloured discharge may be seen.
- This light coloured discharge is completely normal and is not a sign of infection.
- When you see this discharge or find it dried on your jewellery you should clean your piercing with a salt water soak.
Recommended Healing Times
|All Ear Lobe Piercings: 8 Weeks
(‘Standard’ ear piercings on the soft part of the ear).
All Ear Cartilage Piercings: 12 months
Scaffolds / Industrials / Orbitals / Spirals: 18 months
All Eyebrow Piercings: 3 months
All Bridge Piercings: 3 months
All Nostril Piercings: 3 months
All Septum Piercings: 3 months
Standard Lip Piercings: 3 months
Vertical Lip / Delilah / Jestrum Piercings: 4 – 6 months.
All Cheek Piercings: 18 months
All Tongue Piercings:6 weeks
Tongue Web Piercings: 6 weeks
All Navel Piercings: 12 months
All Nipple Piercings: 12 months
All Nape Piercings: 12 months
Microdermal Piercings: 3 months
All Hand Piercings: 12 months
All Surface Piercings: 12 months
Ladies Inner Genital Piercing: 6 weeks
Ladies Deep Inner Genital Piercings: 3 months
Ladies Outer Genital Piercing: 3 months
Gentleman’s Inner Genital Piercing: 6 weeks
Gentleman’s Deep Inner Genital Piercing: 6 months
Gentleman’s Outer Genital Piercing: 3 months
For our more detailed guide to piercing healing times try our full guide. For more information on piercing healing itself we recommend our Piercing Healing Guide or our guide to piercing infections. You may also like to know how salt water soaks benefit your piercing and our complete guide to cleaning your piercing using this method.