Lip Piercing Aftercare.
It is recommended that you don’t change, twist or fiddle with the jewellery for 12 weeks (or 4 – 6 months for Vertical Lip, Delilah or Jestrum piercings). Your piercing may feel healed sooner than this but it wont truly be 100% and is likely to be easily damaged.
This piercing is prone to a large amount of swelling which needs to treated so you can heal. Ice, frozen food, cold drinks, anti-inflammatory pain killers (always read the label), arnica and chamomile tea are recommended to help this.
You will need to rinse your mouth after eating and drinking with water and smoking with alcohol-free mouthwash for the first two weeks.
- Only use pure sterile saline to clean your piercing with.
- Make sure your hands thoroughly clean.
- Then slowly pour the saline over your piercing.
- Clean thoroughly around the front and back of the piercing with a piece of sterile gauze soaked in the solution.
- Dry the piercing thoroughly on a dry piece of sterile gauze.
- Check the balls on your jewellery are on nice and tight.
- Brush your teeth and tongue thoroughly.
- Then rinse your mouth out with an alcohol free mouthwash.
- Clean your piercing twice a day for the first 10-12 days.
- After this, soak when the piercing feels sore or has a crust on the jewellery.
- Avoid exchanging body fluids (kissing and unprotected oral sex).
- Do not use: any kind of alcohol or peroxide agents, antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiseptic agents or any kind of cream on the piercing.
- You will see a light yellow or white discharge (which hardens to a crust on the jewellery) throughout healing. This is normal wound fluid and is not pus.
- Change your toothbrush to a nice new one!
- After the first two weeks if your piercing gets upset consider using a warm chamomile tea bag as a compress or as a bath.
- When you’re in the shower wash the piercing with a natural, gentle, soap.
- Try taking a multivitamin that contains zinc, iron, vitamin C and vitamin A.
- Avoid swimming and baths for at least the first two weeks. Following this, soak your piercing after swimming.